How do I change my meal plan?

You can change your meal plan by going to the USCard website during the first two weeks of the fall semester or spring semester.

Can I get parking by my building?

Our building descriptions on this web site and in our Living at USC brochures indicate which buildings have designated parking. (On campus buildings, which includes most freshman housing, do not.) Contact USC Transportation via their website or by phone at  (213) 740-3575 to see about parking availability.

I have a maintenance problem in my room/apartment. What should I do?

You submit a work order at your CSC, by phone to the Housing Maintenance Office at 740-4646 or online here.

I’m having trouble with my ResNet computer connection. What should I do?

Contact the Housing Maintenance Office at 740-4646 to report your problem or submit a work order online here.

How do I establish landline telephone service in my apartment / room?

Since most college students rely on cell phones for their communication needs, USC Housing eliminated landlines in August 2010 to save on maintenance costs. However, if you would like to reconnect landline service in your residence you may do so.

If you live on-campus in a residence hall (including Seaver), suite, or apartment, please follow the procedures described here.

If you live in the North University Park area, including all off-campus apartments for undergraduates, grads and families as well as University-owned fraternities, please follow the procedures described here.